|The Ice Truck Killer|
For the character behind the serial killer, visit Brian Moser.
Living under the alias of Rudy Cooper, he begins a strange killing spree. When police find the bodies of several dismembered and bloodless prostitutes, they initiate a difficult investigation, not realizing that the killer is hiding in plain sight.
The Ice Truck Killer is the Main Antagonist of Season One, the First Main Antagonist in the series.
The Ice Truck Killer
Brian Moser derived his need to kill from witnessing the gruesome murder of his mother at a young age. After having spent his youth in a mental institution, he was released at age twenty-one. In 1998, he killed a man by the name of Rudy Cooper and assumed his identity. Soon after, he set in motion an elaborate plan to reconnect with his brother, Dexter Morgan, Brian discovered that Dexter not only worked as a forensic blood spatter analyst with an impressive track record, but was also a serial killer, just like himself.
In his first step to trigger Dexter's memory of the past, Brian began to leave bloodless, dismembered women in public areas. (Although Dexter also dismembered his victims, Brian cut up the bodies in more symmetrical portions.)
Messages and Games
ITK was very intelligent, calculating, cautious, and his methods were detailed and encrypted. He played games with the police and left "puzzles" that were meant strictly for Dexter. He knew exactly how to convey the past to Dexter without giving too much away.
Police diversions and clues to Dexter's past include:
- Dismembered, bloodless bodies
- Creation of a non-existent witness, by making an incomplete cut on a victim's leg (as if he were interrupted)
- A spotless Ice Truck containing fingertips within a block of ice
- An innocent man framed, before cutting off his hand and leg
- Becoming Debra's lover in order to get close to Dexter
- Doll pieces left inside Dexter's fridge
- Different colored fingernails - on fingertips inside a block of ice, painted on a doll and a prosthesis
- Body parts displayed in places that represent significant moments of Dexter's past
- Tony Tucci, who was set up to be killed by Dexter
- The murder of Joe Driscoll so Dexter inherited his house
- The blood-filled hotel room - Room 103
- Attempted closure at their mother's house
Although Dexter and Debra speculated that The Ice Truck Killer committed his murders in a stolen ice truck (hence his name), it is revealed in "Truth Be Told" that he had a custom refrigeration unit in his apartment. It is where he actually dismembered his victims, wrapped up the body parts, and left them in public areas.
Brian's procedure was to drain the blood out of each victim before he cut up the corpse (allowing a less messy process). To do this, he would turn his victim upside down on an electric-powered table with metal grating. Then the neck was slit to allow the heart to pump out the blood, which was collected in a bucket. Later, Brian used the buckets of blood in the Marina View Hotel as part of his scheme to make his brother remember the past. ("Seeing Red")
in "Born Free," Dexter set up his murder of Brian to look like a suicide by slashing his throat and draining his blood in Brian's own apartment.
- Season One - A unknown serial killer dubbed the Ice Truck Killer starts leaving bloodless, dismembered bodies in Miami (with two previously found in Broward County). Unknown at the time, the killer is Brian Moser, the biological brother of Dexter Morgan. However, this fact isn't revealed until "Born Free." Brian is eventually killed by Dexter to protect his sister, Debra Morgan, and the investigation seems to be put to rest.
- Season Two - The story picks up 38 days after the death of Brian Moser. It leads shortly into what is known as the Bay Harbor Butcher Investigation, when the FBI and Special Agent Frank Lundy become involved. Dexter begins to visualize his brother -- first, when Lundy compares the "Bay Harbor Butcher" (Dexter) to the Ice Truck Killer (Brian), and then during the funeral for Paul Bennett. Dexter is forced to deal with his inability to let go of his brother and his guilt for killing him. He even finds himself unable to kill a target. Brian is eventually "let go," but the aftermath remains throughout the season. Brian is often mentioned by other characters, including Debra Morgan as she tries to recover from being engaged to a serial killer..
- Season Four - Debra is shocked when she discovers that Brian Moser is the brother of Dexter,
- Season Six - The Ice Truck Killer is referenced, including a reappearance by Brian Moser (as a visualization of Dexter's urge to kill). Later, Louis Greene mails the Prosthetic Arm that once belonged to one of Brian's victims, Monique, to Dexter.
(These victims are likely noted in the Blood Buckets list.)
- Ice Truck Killer Victims 1 and 2 (found in Broward County, FL)
- Pool Victim (found outside Seven Seas Motel)
- Fountain Victim (found at The Fountain)
- Jill Vartos
- Teri Ludlow
- Heather Costas
- Alice Curry
- Amy True
- Terry Foster
- Guilda Ruppert
- Tammy Goode
- Bucket #1 (unknown victim)
- Bucket #2 (likely Sheri Taylor)
- Bucket #3 (likely Monique)
- Tony Tucci (held him captive, amputated his arm and leg, set him up to be killed by Dexter)
- Angel Batista (stabbed in the back)
- Debra Morgan (abducted; tried to stab her on kill table)
- Kills during 1989 - 2006
- Seven Seas Motel
- The Fountain
- Refrigerated Truck
- Miami Blades Ice Hockey Stadium
- Petrie Beach
- McCaffrey Pumpkin Patch
- Angel of Mercy Hospital
- Marina View Hotel
- Santa's Land
- Brian Moser's Residence
- Brian Moser
- Ice Truck Killer Case
- Tony Tucci
- Prosthetic Arm (Ice Truck Killer)
- Rudy Cooper's ID Badge
- Rudy's Yacht