His brother, Brian Moser, used similar kill tools and dismembered his victims like Dexter (although Brian drained their blood, neatly wrapped up the parts, and left them out in plain sight).
Dexter typically stabs his victims in the heart, but he also uses other methods, such as sawing through a neck, beheading, or slashing / stabbing a carotid artery.
The most common, and some of the uncommon, methods that Dexter has killed his victims are listed below.
- 1 Kill Kit
- 2 Power Tools
- 3 Sharpened Tools
- 4 Strangulation Aides
- 5 Blunt Objects
- 6 Household Items
- 7 Poison
- 8 Firearms
- 9 Other Methods
- 10 Supplemental Items
- 11 TV Series
- 12 Novels / Comics
- 13 Dexter: The Game
- 14 Related Pages
- 15 Trivia
- 16 Gallery
- Kill knife (Nurse Mary, Juan Ryness, Alex Timmons, Robert Milson, Matt Chambers,Ethan Turner, Lila West, Julio Benes, Roger Hicks, Valerie Castillo, Clemson Galt,Benito Gomez, Zoey Kruger, Boyd Fowler, Stan Liddy, Cole Harmon, Clint McKay, Travis Marshall, Oleg Mickic, Ron Galuzzo)
- Boning knife (Hector Estrada).
- Chef’s knives (large & small)
- Bone saws (large & small)
- Fillet knife (frequently used in the Novels)
- Poultry shears
- Serrated Bread knife
- Cleaver (Jamie Jaworski, Ken Olson, Jonathan Farrow, Cal Rooney)
- Ice pick
- Chainsaw (Santos Jimenez) (Cindy Landon (Early Cuts))
- Circular saw (Peter Thornton (Early Cuts)).
- Reciprocating saw (Mike Donovan, Emmett Meridian, Jorge Castillo, Jose Garza, Stan Beaudry, Anthony Rodrigo}
- Hacksaw (Max Lindquist & Coleman Lindquist (Early Cuts))
- Pitchfork (Norm) (Octavio, Comics)
- Anchor (Rankin)
- Boat Hook (Alberto)
- Machete (Little Chino)
- Bayonet Oscar Prado, Fred Bowman)
- Switchblade (Andrew Briggs)
- Shovel handle (Ray Speltzer)
- Sword of John the Revelator (Travis Marshall)
- Hammer (Arthur Mitchell, Joe Walker)
- Fire extinguisher (Viktor Baskov)
- Flashlight & Car (Gene Marshall)
- Curtain rod (A.J. Yates)
- Pen (Oliver Saxon)
- Pillow (Walter Kenney)
- Kitchen knife (Steve Dorsey)
- Table knife (Brian Moser)
- Defibrillator (Ben, Roger)
- Off beach seawater (Nick)
- His hands, to snap necks (Esteban Famosa, George King,Dan Mendell)
- M99 tranquilizer & syringes
- Lock pick set
- Duct tape
- Kill attire
- Black gym bag
- Blood spatter kit
- Smelling salts
- Microscope slides
- Plastic sheeting / shrink wrap
- Black heavy-duty trash bags
- Candles (at times)
- Rocks (used for Underwater Graveyard)
Dexter decides to dump his kill tools and his blood slide box into the ocean so there will be no trace of his secret life in case he becomes a suspect in the murder of Valerie Castillo. After he throws his kill tools overboard, he reminisces about his kills as he goes through the blood slides. He notices a smile scratched on Valerie's blood slide (the work of his "new friend" (The Ice Truck Killer) and he chooses to keep his trophies.
Dexter tricks James Doakes into drinking water with a sedative in it, which causes him to pass out. Dexter seizes this opportunity to roll Doakes' fingerprints onto his kill tools, in order to frame him for the Butcher murders.
The kill tools with Doakes' fingerprints are found by a scuba diving class, giving the police and the FBI further evidence of Doakes' guilt.
While Jordan Chase is admiring Dexter's knife kit, he notices that a knife is missing. Suddenly, Dexter pulls out the hidden knife out and stabs Jordan's foot, securing it to the floor.
Dexter abandons his kill tools when he captures Oliver Saxon, and his longing to be with Hannah overpowers his need to kill. He leaves the kill tools behind as evidence against Saxon when he is arrested. This plan fails, however, as Saxon is freed by U.S. Marshal Max Clayton and immediately kills Clayton (with one of Dexter's knives) and shoots Debra, whom Dexter had called to arrest Saxon.
Novels / Comics
In the comics, Dexter's kill tools are depicted for the first time in Dexter: Issue 3.
Dexter: The Game
In the game, Dexter stores his tools in a wooden box with multiple compartments. The tools depicted include, but are not limited to:
- Bone saw
- Electric Saw
- Meat Cleaver
- Kill Room
- Kill Ritual
- Dexter Morgan
- Dexter's Kill List
- Locations of Dexter's Kills
- Dexter's modus operandi
- Dexter used a Northstar 1050 HD Diamond Ripstop Series Duffle Bag to carry his knife bag and other gear.