"Are You...?" is the first of twelve episodes in Season Seven of the Showtime series DEXTER, and the Seventy-Third overall episode of the series. Directed by John Dahl and written by Scott Buck, it first aired 30 September 2012.
The estimated number of viewers for the episode during its original airing was 2.40 million.
After witnessing her brother kill Travis Marshall, Debra attempts to reconcile with Dexter while struggling to cover up their involvement with the murder. Meanwhile, Detective Mike Anderson has an unfortunate run-in, Quinn and Batista begin to make amends, and LaGuerta finds evidence that causes her to re-think the closed Bay Harbor Butcher Case.
Dexter is driving his car to the Miami International Airport, presumably escaping from someone. When he tries to get fuel for his vehicle, all his cards are declined, which means he has to use some of the cash he is keeping in his travel bag he has in the trunk of his Escape. He rapidly drives to the Miami International Airport with the bag, and heads to buy a ticket for Budapest.
Dexter Morgan, having just claimed another victim, looks up to see his sister Debra Morgan standing in the doorway. After uttering the words "Oh god...", she immediately pulls her gun out pointing it at her brother who steps away quickly from the knife that was still plunged into Travis's chest.
She demands he step away from the body while Dexter says that it's him, trying to reassure her that he is her brother. Debra then asks who is on the alter before receiving her answer that it's Travis Marshall, the Doomsday Killer that she has been tracking for the past month and had made an apparent escape after a fiasco involving a "final ritual" before the Eclipse earlier that evening. Debra, staring at her brother with confusion filling her every nerve, asks,"Dex, what the fuck?!" while battling with what she actually is seeing.
Dexter thinks quickly, knowing that he can't reveal that he is a serial killer, especially not to his own sister. Instead, he fabricates a lie to try and protect himself. Placing his hands on his temple while faking a sense of his own confusion, he quickly states, "Shit!" while Debra urges him to explain what happened. He asks that she lower her gun, which Debra slowly begins to do. Now, forming the words in his mind, he starts to act out his own "surprise" at what he had done.
- "I came to do one last forensic sweep like you asked me to do and..." Dexter says, slowly approaching Debra. She takes a few steps back, while he continues to speak. "Travis was here. He came at me, with his sword...I fought him off." Dexter moves even closer to his sister who again backs away. "I knocked him out...".
- "How did he end up...wrapped in plastic on the alter?" Debra asks, watching Dexter closely.
- "I snapped." Dexter responds.
- "You snapped?? Fuck does that mean?" She looks at him with bewilderment, struggling to believe him. Dexter puts a fist to his forehead and works on expressing emotion, while carefully choosing his next words.
- "There's been a lot of anger inside me ever since Rita died. When I looked at Travis and thought about everything he did, I just wanted him dead so I killed him..."
- "..Dexter!" "I know..." He stares at Deb, while she surveys the corpse, wrapped in plastic, possibly having fragmented memories of the Ice Truck Killer. She tries to piece together what happened, especially since Travis is strapped to the altar naked. "That still doesn't explain why he's wrapped up like that!".
- Dexter turns and looks at Travis, being careful what to say next, "I didn't even think about it. I'm a forensics expert. I guess it's just second nature not to leave a trace...".
- "Jesus, Dex!"
Dexter nods and looks at Travis again, except now he hears a clicking in the background. He quickly turns to see that Debra is using her phone. His expression quickly fills with concern as he asks, "Who are you calling?" Debra replies that she has to get everyone from the station down there. Dexter loudly says, "No!" which scares Debra enough that she jumps back as he moves forward.
Dexter asks Debra how the situation looks. She states that it looks weird and he agrees. Dexter insists that this can complicate their lives. Debra promises to get Dexter the best lawyer in the city to fix the situation, and explain that he had a moment of temporary insanity. Dexter refuses to accept her solution, stating he could lose his job and Harrison, and end up in a psych ward. Dexter proposes getting rid of the body by putting it in his car and dumping it somewhere else; however, Debra is reluctant as it could make things worse. Dexter suggest making it look like a suicide, by burning the church down. The scenario could be explained as a frustrated Travis had killed himself because the world did not end as he predicted. The fire would erase any trace linking Deb and Dexter. Debra agrees to do as he wishes, and heads to a nearby station to get a can of gas to make the church burn faster.  When she returns, Dexter pours out the gas, sets the church aflame, and stabs Travis with the sword to makes it appear as if he committed a ritual suicide.
Dexter and Debra head to the docks and wait until they are called to a crime scene. As Dexter predicted, it's the very same crime scene they just left: Travis Marshall’s death at the church
Vince and the rest of the team establish the crime scene is indeed a suicide. Dexter notices a piece of the plastic wrap is still on the toe of Travis. Debra distracts Vince while Dexter takes it off. Maria LaGuerta arrives as the scene and congrats the success of having Travis off the streets. However, she then notices something shiny under a grate. She quickly picks up what appears to be a blood slide, which unknown to her, was dropped by Dexter.
Heading to his apartment, Dexter is relieved that Debra believed the story he fabricated about why he killed Travis. Upon entering, Dexter finds Louis Greene there. He notices that Louis used his computer and orders him not to do it again. Jamie leaves with Louis, and Dexter checks his blood slide box to see if Louis touched anything from it. Instead, he discovers that he forgot the blood slide with Travis’ blood.
At Louis' apartment, he tries to pit Jamie against Dexter to no avail, as Jamie still thinks Dexter is a good boss and instead asks Louis what is wrong with him. Unknown to Jamie, Louis is on his computer hacking Dexter’s credit cards and blocking further usage of them.
Debra is watching the news about Travis' death, growing nervous at how she lied during the interview at the scene. She receives a call from Detective Mike Anderson who asks her how Travis got to the church if his car was not found at the scene. She replies the actions of a suicidal man don’t have to make sense. Mike still says he will look into it.
After hanging up on Debra, Detective Anderson spots a man with a flat tire at the side of the road and decides to help. The man states he doesn't need the help but Mike still proceeds to the back of the man’s car and opens it, discovering the corpse of a blonde woman. The man quickly shoots at Detective Anderson on the chest. He then yells in Ukrainian, cleans the vehicle from prints and takes off in Anderson’s vehicle.
Next morning, Deb arrives at Dexter’s apartment and questions him as to how he was so prepared with various gear to kill Travis. Dexter states it all was in the church or belonged to Travis. Even if Dexter did not want to involve Deb in Travis’ murder, she states she is involved. Dexter just answers they have to go to work. Debra receives a call and is informed Mike has been shot. She heads to the address given to her. Dexter states he just have to get his bags ready and will also head to the address in 2 minutes. After Deb leaves Dexter gets his getaway pack that was purposely hidden inside the wall at the back of his room’s door and heads to the crime scene.
At the crime scene, Debra, Quinn, Angel and Dexter discover Mike is dead. Quinn states the killer is (will) be death, to which Debra replies that everything will be done by the book as they are cops, not killers. Dexter analyses the woman’s corpse and states the cause of death. He also looks for prints but is only able to find the woman’s as the vehicle has been wiped clean from any other prints. The prints reveal the woman’s identity as Kaja Soroka, also revealing the vehicle is in fact under her name too. Without telling anyone else, Dexter discovers a print from the driver on the one place everyone forgets to clean up: The turn signal. Debra watches as Dexter leaves the scene and she is shocked as flashbacks from Dexter killing Travis combined with memories from when she was wrapped on a table, come to her mind.
Back at Miami Metro, Debra looks into the files from the Ice Truck Killer Case. She finds the modus operandi from the Ice Truck Killer is similar to how Dexter killed Travis. Batista dispatches the team to investigate locations of interest to find more about Kaja Soroka’s death while Debra confronts Dexter about how Travis’ murder reminds her of when Brian strapped her to a table. Dexter states he did what he did with no specific attention to details. After Deb leaves the lab, Dex finds a match on Interpol for the print on the turn signal, which belongs to Viktor Baskov.
Dexter heads to Viktor’s apartment, and while thinking he should not do a kill now, he still goes through with it. He enter Viktor’s apartment and finds out he left in a hurry and is at the airport. Dexter goes to the airport and using a fake ID, buys a ticket to Budapest. Dexter gets to the waiting room for passengers and spots Viktor.
At The Fox Hole, Batista and Quinn order everyone to stand down and wait to be questioned, to which the club’s manager, George Novikov, who is familiar to Quinn, reacts. While George tries to get the police off the place, Batista does believe him and instead asks for a list of all the clients of the club.
Back at the airport Dexter grabs a wheelchair and follow Viktor into the men’s bathroom. He then injects him with M99 and puts him in the wheelchair to pass unnoticed. Dexter gets an unconscious Viktor into a baggage storage inside the airport. With no clue about Kaja’s killer Batista and Quinn head to get a drink while Debra is looking for Dexter. At the baggage storage room in the airport, Dexter tells Viktor the reason why he is strapped to the table. Viktor tries to buy his way out of death by offering money to Dexter to no avail. Dexter then proceeds to bash Viktor’s head with a fire extinguisher.
In Kiev, Ukraine a gray-haired man (Isaak Sirko) receives a call from George Novikov, The Fox Club’s manager. George informs Isaak Viktor arrived to Miami hours ago and that while the matter with the police is still a problem, George states he will make it go away.
Debra calls Dexter’s apartment to talk to him but instead the phone is answered by Jaime. Jaime states Dexter is at work, Debra knows he isn’t , which increases her suspicions. Dexter is onboard the Slice of Life, dispatching Viktor's remains in a black trash bag while Debra goes through the photos of the Ice Truck Killer Case.
Back at Miami Metro, LaGuerta asks Vince about the usage of blood slides. He states there is only one person in Miami Metro that ever used blood slides: Doakes – The Bay Harbor Butcher. To LaGuerta’s discontent, she hides the blood slide to look into it personally.
Back at Dexter’s apartment, Dexter opens his apartment door only to find the blood slide box opened by Debra, who is displaying the blood slides on his table. She asks him if he killed all those people from the blood slides and asks him if he is a serial killer, to which Dexter simply replies, "Yes."
- Blood Slide Boxes
- Debra's Beach House
- Dexter's Apartment
- The Fox Hole
- Harry Morgan's House
- Isaak Sirko's Mansion
- Kill Tools
- Koshka Brotherhood
- La Cuevita
- Miami International Airport
- Santa Maria de Loreto
- Viktor Baskov's Apartment
- This episode marks the second premiere in the series that picks up directly after the events of the previous season's finale. However, unlike Season 5 picking up after Season 4, the first few minutes are a teaser of Dexter apparently running for his life, trying to escape the country. This is later revealed to be him tracking the victim Viktor Baskov.
- The Episode Title "Are You... ?" refers to Debra's line at the very end of the episode, when she discovers the blood slide box, Dexter's kill tools and the Prosthetic Hand. She asks first if he killed all those people (referring to the blood slide box), to which he says yes. Then she asks: "Are you...a serial killer?" and after a moment's pause, he whispers, "Yes."
- Dexter initially was caught red-handed at the scene though he fabricates a story that convinces Debra that he only had a moment of temporary insanity. However, Debra's insistence on piecing together what she actually saw led her to the real truth by the end of the very same episode...and she finds out that he's actually a Serial Killer.
- The dates listed on the Ice Truck Killer Case Evidence Box are: 10/1/06 and the second date is 4/16/07. Brian Moser was killed roughly around Christmas of 2006, so the latter date is likely when it was filed rather than when the case was closed.