In Dexter Early Cuts, the story does not continue from one season to another. Each season of Early Cuts takes place in a specific time period, and all stories have the objective of telling Dexter's early experiences as a serial killer.
In Dark Echo, Dexter is challenged by a copy-cat killer who does not follow any sort of code. Dark Echo opens immediately after the death of Dexter's father, Harry, with Dexter age twenty and his sister, Debra, still in high school. Dexter is enrolled in medical school where he's studying anatomy to improve his "craft."
In All in the Family, Dexter works as a blood spatter analyst. To satisfy his dark urges, he hunts a new killer on New Year's Eve, and faces off with Coleman Lindquist and his father - a killing team.
- Dark Echo - 1991
- Gene Marshall - June 1993
- All in the Family - December 2000
- Alex Timmons - October 2003
- Cindy Landon - March 2004
- Alex Timmons (Early Cuts) - Four Chapters
- Gene Marshall (Early Cuts) - Four Chapters
- Cindy Landon (Early Cuts) - Four Chapters
- Dark Echo (Early Cuts) - Six Chapters
- All in the Family - Six Chapters